Saturday, June 19, 2010

Two Challenges - One Post

I rarely do this - combine challenges that is. I should try to do it more often, because I am very happy with how this turned out.  This weeks Timeless Tuesday Challenge at Flourishes was for embossing. The Copic Creations Challenge this week was to use "Other paper" than that usually used. I always use white cardstock to color on. It just is much easier for me, so for this challenge I used an off-white cardstock. It made the coloring a bit more muted which I liked a lot. 
 
The first thing that I did was to cut the two squares out with Nesties. I embossed them while still in the Nestie and then left them in and used my airbrush with my Copics to add some color, which made it look like it was layered on the top of another piece of cardstock. For the bottom one I used G21, and G24 for the top G20 and G21. Once the airbrushing was done I used the new sentiment from Flourishes Life Lines and stamped it in Olymbia Green Versafine and then heat embossed with Clear EP. I mounted them on top of each other and used a pop up foam to mount. The bottom layer is embossed with a Cuttlebug Embossing Folder. All of this was mounted to the same off-white cardstock.

Then came the Hummingbirds. These are also from Flourishes new release Humming Around. There were two different sized  Hummingbirds. However, to my frustration they were both facing the same way. Hmmmm... So I tried a technique I hadn't tried before. I stamped the large hummingbird on the cardstock with Memento. The small hummingbird I inked up with Memento Tuxedo black ink, and then I stamped it on my spellbinders tan mat I use with Embossing. I then quickly pressed the off-white cardstock onto the image on the mat. Voila - reversed hummingbird. I went over a couple of the lines with the black Copic Multiliner... but other than that it turned out really well.

For the coloring of the hummingbirds I used B21 and B23, V12, G20, 21 and 24. On the wings I blended the purple into the blue into the green, and the blue on the top of the head into the green. Once completed I layered clear Spica on top of the feathers. Once done, I decided that the birds cut out were a little too fragile, so I Crystal Laquered them. These were both mounted on pop up foam. I added the cream colored Prima flowers. 

Now... I guess I better start working on some Father's Day cards. YIKES!

5 comments:

  1. Your card is STUNNING! The mix of colors and techniques are just fantastic! Thanks for sharing your tips. Beautiful coloring of the birds too :)
    Thanks for joining the Copic Creations challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW I love how the hummingbirds turned out!!! Super beautiful card Alaine!!! The embossing looks so elegant on your card!!!

    Thank you so much for playing along with us!!! Hope to see you again tomorrow!?! Hugs ~S~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a beautiful card! The hummingbirds are gorgeous, very lifelike. So glad you could join us at Copic Creations ~ good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous card, great embossing, wonderful inking and I just love your little hummingbirds - wonderful technique.
    Thanks so much for playing along with us at Copic Creations,
    hugs Heather xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! It's absolutely stunning! Lovin' those hummingbirds and the way you filled those beautiful images. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete